Latin Singer Delivers Show With True Rock Star Force

Alejandro Escovedo
GO! Rehearsal Studio
Saturday, Dec. 1

Alejandro Escovedo began his show with the saunter of a pretentious serenading musician.

But as he strapped on his baby blue electric guitar, the musician and his accompanying band proceeded to rock the crowd with their fiery tunes.

He began "Everybody Loves Me, But I Don't Know Why" in a smoldering tenor, later growing to possess the passion associated with Latin singers, delivered with the hard-core edge of rock singers.

The same balance of passion and ruggedness could be seen in the way Escovedo played each song. He and his backup singer ripped down their electric guitars in a series of raging chords. When the guitarist forcefully ripped out "Castanets," it became clear that Escovedo's music focuses just as much on instrumentals as it does on vocals.

Escovedo's smoky voice and fevered playing were also backed by the soaring sounds of cellos, harmonica and frantic drum beats. Their voices cut through the hectic interlude with smooth precision.

Showcasing the individual talent of his band members, Escovedo's set leapt from song to song with one instrument soaring above the others. While his renegade anthem, "Everybody Loves Me, But I Don't Know Why" highlighted his skill as a guitarist, in "Five Hearts" the cello gracefully rose above Escovedo's voice in gentle harmony. But the drummer's incessant pounding in "Rosalie" did more to annoy than set a good rhythm.

But the few shortcomings of his band weren't enough to overshadow the liveliness of Escovedo's performance. With unadulterated force he tore up the stage in true rocker's fashion -- and the crowd never complained.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.