Legislators Call for Study of BOG Structure

A legislative bill that will remove minority quotas from the BOG election policy passed both chambers Thursday.

Currently, at least two women, two members of a minority race, and two members of the minority political party must be elected to the BOG every four years.

Sen. Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, said the quotas were constitutionally suspect and that the amendment will make the BOG election process legal.

Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight, D-Dare, said abolishing the quotas probably will not diminish minority representation on the BOG. "It's not going to damage that kind of representation," Basnight said. "It would probably enhance it."

Another piece of legislation passed Thursday mandates a legislative commission to study the structure of the BOG. The study has the potential to initiate changes in the composition and function of the BOG.

The commission's 10 members will be appointed by Basnight and House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg.

The legislation was amended Thursday to call only for a study of four structural aspects of the BOG -- how members are elected, the size of the board and length and number of terms allowed.

Previously, the legislation would have called for a more sweeping study of the board's powers and effectiveness.

In recent weeks, some UNC-system leaders have voiced opposition to the study, complaining it is poorly timed.

But Sen. David Weinstein, D-Robeson, said the study is necessary and is not a threat to BOG members. "Every board needs a review every four to five years," he said. He added that if there are deficiencies in the function of the BOG they need to be detected.

Proponents of the study bill have said they wanted to examine if the structure of the BOG hindered the UNC system's two flagship universities -- UNC-Chapel Hill and N.C. State University.

Sen. Howard Lee, D-Orange, said he favored the study because the flagships have dropped in national rankings recently. "I, along with other people, have had growing concerns about the standing of our flagship universities," he said.

Lee said the purpose of the study is not to disband the BOG but to examine whether it is properly structured.

He added that the rankings of UNC-CH and N.C. State are crucial to the state because they bring in millions of dollars.

Lee said research institutions should be governed on a different level than other UNC-system campuses. "We need to recognize that equalization should not be our goal," he said. He said that the study might initiate changes but that it also might reaffirm the BOG's role.

"We may come away finding that we are doing things exactly the way they should be done."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@email.edu.