Letter Writer Apologizes But Stands by His Point About Student Walk-Out

It looks as though I may owe the students who protested David Horowitz an apology.

In my letter ("Student Calls Protest Ineffective; It Made Group Look Immature," Nov. 30) I said the students who walked out were "yelling," and apparently that was not the case. If I had my letter to write over, I would simply delete the word in question.

I stand by the rest of it.

Although this means the liberal community within the University views me as "brainwashed" and a "fool," I will pick up the broken pieces of my shattered ego, and try to move on.

What I do find disturbing is Gahmya Drummond-Bey and Chanel Francis ("Letter Writer Distorts Account of Horowitz Walkout and Protest," Dec. 3) and Kristi Booker's ("Setting the Record Straight: Why We Chose to Walk Out, Dec. 3) repeated claims that what they did was somehow analogous to the sacrifices made by participants of the civil rights movement during the '60s and '70s.

Drummond-Bey and Francis state "history repeats itself, and there was a time when our own leaders were spit upon for the same actions."

In an e-mail, Booker told me, "In case you're wondering how that feels, look at some clips of angry white mobs from the '50s and '60s protesting the integration of Southern schools, and you will get a feel for what it was like for us that night."

What this collection of individuals took part in was not "a stand against racial injustice," but an overdramatic display of tomfoolery and self-righteous nonsense.

Mr. Horowitz was invited to come speak about how we should unite as a nation during this time of war, and these students had the bad sense to try and cause a scene just to get attention.

They are not champions of justice but pampered university students, just like the rest of us.

Andrew Herman
Junior
Communication Studies