Obsess Much? Probably Just Coincidences

After Sunday's win and your skillful contribution to the game, I'm sure that you will be getting even more attention from girls than usual. They will linger around you at restaurants and other public places.They'll approach you on campus.

They might even manage to figure out your e-mail address or AOL screen name and contact you that way.

I'm sure this admiration will seem appealing, and it might be tempting to pursue something with one of these fans.

However, I don't think that any of these girls can really understand you like I can. And, in the midst of their giddiness and shallow affection, I hope that you will take advantage of a more sincere and fulfilling option -- me.

For some time now, I've known that we have a connection. First of all, I run into you a lot. I've seen you at fraternity parties and eating out on Franklin Street. More than once I've passed you walking to class. Are these mere coincidences? I don't think so.

Beyond us just "happening" to be in the same places at the same times, I also know that we're right for each other because we have so much in common. You're from Hickory; I lived there until I was 3. That's certainly a sign of something.

And, my grandparents lived in Hickory for most of their adult lives before they moved to Charlotte this summer. I think fate intended for me to meet you when I went to visit to them in Hickory, but apparently even events that were meant to be don't always work out.

You play basketball; I played basketball in ninth and 10th grade, and I even played forward.

And, here's the great part. My number during regular season was 54, and my number during summer league was 14.

Both numbers have fours in the one's place, and if you subtract the one from the five, you get another four, which makes 44 -- your number! Oh yeah, and my grandfather, the one who lived in your town for decades, played college basketball, and his middle name is William.

So, this means that with both of our genes we can have an athletic son, and then we can name him William. How great is that? When you're on the court, I see you look at the band sometimes, especially when you face us for foul shots, and I know that you understand our connection too. I think it's just one of those fate things. It's way deeper than you playing basketball or having your picture in the paper or even you being a Morehead.

I like your soul, Will. Just looking at you play, I can tell that you're a good person. I know that you've never answered any of my letters or initiated conversation, and I can understand that.You've never officially met me, and taking that first step can be hard, but time is running out and you need to get over your shyness.

In another semester, I'll graduate and go off to school, maybe even far away. If you don't make a move in the next five months, you'll have to go through life knowing that you never met your soul mate. So, here's the deal. I'm coming to your basketball tournament in Charlotte -- my hometown.

I know that you'll be tired after the game, but I was thinking that we could find a spot to meet and that you could stay at my house for a few days. You'll probably be worried about my parents not liking you, but they will. They've already heard a lot about you from me, and they think you're a nice guy.

My grandparents are also eager to meet you. They watch a lot of Carolina basketball and of course, there's the Hickory connection.

If any of my family members do act weird, it's probably just because I said that we were engaged, and they all think I'm too young. I'm sure we can change their minds about that, though. Don't you think?

At any rate, please come. It will be so much fun, and I'll even sleep in my sister's room and let you have mine.

See you soon!

Yours truly,

Marian Crotty

Marian Crotty does not really believe that Will Johnson is her soul mate, and in fact she really doesn't follow him around campus. Her advice book Finding Your Mate From Fifty Feet Away will be available next week. E-mail her at mcrotty@email.unc.edu for an advance copy.