OWASA Alters Water Disinfection Process

Beginning January 2002, OWASA will change the water treatment process from chlorination to chloramination.

The agency provides tap water to UNC as well as the Chapel Hill and Carrboro areas, said Public Affairs Administrator Greg Feller.

Chlorination involves killing germs in water by adding chlorine in the form of sodium hypochlorite, or bleach.

The new process involves adding ammonia and chlorine. When combined, the two chemicals form chloramines that become the disinfection agent, Feller said.

Peter Reinhardt, director of the UNC Department of Environment, Health and Safety, said drinking water currently meets federal standards under the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act, but chlorination of drinking water can produce carcinogens.

"This new process increases the margin of safety," Reinhardt said.

"The change wasn't necessary, but it was the prudent thing to do."

Chloramination will reduce the level of disinfection byproducts and lessen the taste and odor of chlorine in water, Fellers said.

"Essentially, this is an improvement in the quality of drinking water," Feller said.

Reinhardt does not expect the change to affect anyone on campus.

Feller said people who have weak immune systems or who use tap water for dialysis should not be affected because they already use additional filtration processes for their water.

In addition, fish owners and laboratory assistants need to filter their water before using it.

"I don't think anyone who's being careful with water now will be affected, but tap water is used for so many different purposes," Reinhardt said.

OWASA has considered changing to chloramination as a treatment process for more than two years as part of their master planning process, Feller said.

In addition Feller said chloramination has been used in cities across the United States for more than 50 years, including Raleigh and Cary.