Police Roundup

University

Wednesday, Dec. 5

-An employee at the N.C. Botanical Garden reported at 6:55 a.m. that a person broke into the storage shed area at the Totten Center and removed three kerosene heaters, valued at $200 each.

Reports state that the suspect also broke into the main center and stole three pagers, a cell phone, two tillers, two chain saws, a VCR and $200 in cash. There are no suspects at this time. The incident is under investigation.

Monday, Dec. 3

-A UNC student called in a larceny at Fetzer Gymnasium at 9:42 p.m, reports state.

The victim reported that a wool UNC letterman jacket containing a wallet, a driver's license and a credit card was stolen from a table outside Gym C between 6:30 p.m. and 9 p.m.

There is no further information at this time.

-University police responded to a purse-snatching report they received from a UNC student at 4:25 p.m.

The victim stated that someone took her purse from her backpack as she was waiting for a bus in front of the Bell Tower.

The victim stated that her head was bowed and covered because she had a headache, and at one point she heard the person next to her rustling around, according to reports.

According to reports, the victim could not give a description of the person standing next to her.

-An employee at Davis Library called police at 2:22 p.m. to report there had been a person carrying a knife in the library.

The employee told police the suspect had the knife on his waistband, but as far as he knew, the suspect did not remove the knife from its holster or threaten anyone with it.

-University police responded to a report of criminal property damage they received at 12:22 p.m.

Reports state that a jogger threw a bottle, breaking the windshield of a tow truck that was traveling north on Bowles Drive.

The victim stated that the suspect continued running and might have run into the Smith Center. The investigating officer checked the Smith Center and did not find the suspect, according to reports.

The windshield is valued at $250.

City

Wednesday, Dec. 5

-Carrboro police arrested Robert Driscoll, 21, of 112 Lin Tilley Road in Durham at 1:38 a.m. for embezzlement.

Reports state that Driscoll stole $649 in cash and various goods from The Pantry on Jones Ferry Road, where Driscoll was employed.

The cash and goods were last known to be secure Dec. 1 at 10:33 a.m., reports state.

Officers arrested Driscoll at 102 N.C. 54. He was transported to the police department, where he was released under a written promise to appear in the Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on Wednesday, reports state.

Tuesday, Dec. 4

-Carrboro police responded to a larceny call at 9 a.m. at 404 Jones Ferry Road.

Reports state that an unknown subject stole the victim's property. The property was last known to be secure on Nov. 26.

The total value of the stolen goods was $420, reports state.

The case is inactive.

-Carrboro police arrested Frederick Watson, 27, of Pittsboro at 10:36 p.m. for possession of marijuana.

Reports state that officers performed a traffic stop on Watson's vehicle and discovered a strong odor of marijuana.

Officers found 15 grams of marijuana in Watson's pocket, reports state.

Watson faces one misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana, reports state.

Watson is scheduled to appear in the Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on Jan. 14.

-Chapel Hill police responded to a larceny call at 1:20 p.m. at 248 Brookberry Circle.

Reports state that the ex-boyfriend of the victim took items from the residence when he moved out early last month.

The total value of the stolen goods was $3,020, reports state.

The case is under further investigation.