Qatar Seminar Convenes for 1st Time

Students participating in the one-credit course heard presentations about Muslim history in their first seminar.

The creation of the class, composed of 25 selected students, was proposed by Student Body President Justin Young and Vice President Rudy Kleysteuber. Professors Bob Adler and Holden Thorp lead the one-hour credit course.

Students were separated into several small groups, each of which will give a presentation to Chancellor James Moeser arguing for or against the proposal during the final class. Each group has complete discretion as to what stance it will take.

Moeser, who initially rejected the notion that students should be involved in the decision, is expected to determine whether to pursue the satellite campus before the end of the year.

Each group must also complete a 10-page paper arguing the same points as each presentation. Adler encouraged students to put themselves in the chancellor's shoes when forming an opinion.

Friday's session focused on Islam and the issues the Muslim world faces today. History Professor Sarah Shields and Duke religion Professor Ebrahim Moosa shared their expertise with participants.

Moosa, who did not share an opinion on the proposal with the group, said he hoped to give students "1,400 years of history in five minutes." He described how Muslims were innovators in philosophy and science long before Europe came to the forefront.

Shields echoed Moosa, saying Christopher Columbus was able to go on his voyage because of the work of Muslim minds. She added that because of the Ottoman Empire, Muslims controlled most of the world in the 1700s.

But Americans do not recognize these accomplishments, Shields said. "We see backward people needing help."

Shields said she is opposed to the UNC-Qatar initiative because she sees the program as colonialist. Many Qataris see American education as yet another unwanted Western influence, Shields said.

Shields said she also is opposed to the proposal because 70 percent of the Qataris who will be educated at UNC's school would be from the ruling class of natives, which makes up 20 percent of the population. These students will receive a free education, she said.

The other 80 percent of the population is made up of guest workers from neighboring countries who have no rights and can never become Qatari citizens, Shields said. These students would have to pay for part of their education at UNC's campus and would make up only 30 percent of the student body.

Student response to the first session was positive. Senior Lucy Pearce said she was impressed with the class because it presented both sides of the issue.

Young also said he was impressed with the diversity of perspectives and ideas offered at the first class. He said he looks forward to the feedback students could give to the chancellor. "I'm really excited."