Site Created for Parking Feedback

Student Body Vice President Rudy Kleysteuber said the Web site will provide a rapid mechanism for students to voice their concerns to UNC administrators. The Web site is located at http://www.rjonesx.com/parking.

Student government officials have argued that students' voices are underrepresented on the Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee, which has 25 members, three of whom are students.

In October, Provost Robert Shelton and Nancy Suttenfield, vice chancellor for finance and administration, drafted a preliminary decision to eliminate on-campus parking for students living in residence halls in the near future. Although student representatives on TPAC were able to express their opinion, they played no role in the decision-making process.

On Nov. 28, TPAC held a meeting that frustrated Student Body President Justin Young and Kleysteuber, who said the student voice was ignored again in discussing night permit parking and the removal of on-campus resident parking.

"We are the largest faction on campus, and to be represented by the smallest faction at (the Nov. 28 TPAC) meeting was absurd," Kleysteuber said.

Kleysteuber said although he acknowledges the importance of TPAC and its existing decision-making process, he said he feels it is not the best way for the student voice to be heard.

The site, which also is linked from the student government Web site, offers students a direct way to e-mail three administrators -- Shelton, Suttenfield and Chancellor James Moeser --