Students Want Campus to Refrain From Protest and Just Let People Live

Every day I go out in the Pit, and there is at least one group or person who is peddling, preaching, or pushing some kind of good or idea. Often times it becomes very noisy, and often times it is unnecessary. I am not trying to pass judgment on which groups I think are right or wrong because it really doesn't matter. The fact is that all of the peddling, preaching, and pushing creates a lot of contention and an unfriendly environment on campus.

It doesn't always occur in the Pit either. Recently, there was a pretty large stink kicked up over a one-hour speech by a man who seems to be likened to Satan on campus, David Horowitz. Before that, there was a collective beat down of our resident self-proclaimed Satan expert, Gary Birdsong. None of these things did any good. In fact, I was reminded of the old saying, "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all."

Now, I'm going to make a couple of simple, but seemingly impossible requests: Please take a week off from the inflammatory statements. Every once in a while they are good, perhaps even needed, but after a while they become a chronic disease. Instead, try to pass around some good feeling on campus; just smiling to and saying, "hi," to people you pass can brighten yours and their day. Before peddling any more truth, I think everyone needs to do some soul searching.

Don't lose the concept that truth exists, but at the same time try living and just letting other people live.

Jeremy Teed

Freshman

Biology

Daniel Anderson

Freshman

Biology and History