F1 Returns to the Realm of Cyberspace

For my fans, I have good news. For my critics, I'm sorry to disappoint you. My column is returning this semester, just not in the same place.

"Wait," you might say, "if it isn't going to be published in the paper, then where is it going to be?" To this I would reply, "Only a mouse click away, my friend." For it's true: my column will be returning to The Daily Tar Heel online site.

Returning? That's right. For those of you who don't know, my column has been around for more than a year now. It ran solely online its first year and wasn't brought to the paper until last semester. So in reality, I've really had somewhere around 45 minutes of fame. True, the last 15 have probably been my favorite, but that doesn't mean I don't have good times behind me. Or in front of me, for that matter.

Speaking of those last 15 minutes, I must offer a sincere thank you to you guys and girls who actually read my column last semester and didn't just laugh at the picture. And a thank you very much to those people who actually wrote in, no matter how silly your responses were. You are the reason my column has been running as long as it has.

So for you die-hard readers who wish to continue reading my column once it returns to the online site (C'mon Adam, quit fooling yourself, you know there aren't any of those), you can find it Mondays at http://www.dailytarheel.com. For those of you who are just looking for a reason to smile on Mondays (and there are oh so few), then you can look it up, too.

And write in! My column cannot survive without reader responses. Just because I'm not in the paper doesn't mean I won't be answering questions (actually, I can answer more questions online because I have unlimited space).

You fuel my creativity, and without your questions, complaints, rants and raves, I have nothing.

Anyway, no matter the situation this semester, my column will persevere.

As long as I am a member of the DTH staff, I will fight to bring you F1 every week.

If that means two hours (or more) of fame for me, then all the better. And if I can make just a few people smile on some bleak, rainy Monday morning, then it will all be worth it.

Andy Warhol's "15 minutes" statement has been repeated by many different people.

However, less well-known is the following statement, given years later: "I'm bored with that line. I never use it anymore. My new line is 'In 15 minutes, everybody will be famous.'"

I think I like that one much better.

Adam Shupe wishes to give his final paper-published shout out of the year to Samantha, Sweet 7 & Co., and all those who have helped make this column possible. Check him out online at www.dailytarheel.com and e-mail him at shupe@email.unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide