Frustration Builds For Doherty, UNC

The tension in the air was thick in Cole Field House's tiny visiting locker room.

The Tar Heels just don't have much to say these days.

UNC's locker room has been quieter than usual after almost every game this season. Reporters have fired off questions about UNC's 0-3 start, the Tar Heels' 22-point home loss to Wake Forest last Saturday, and all the North Carolina records that are in jeopardy -- nothing that any of the players are too anxious to talk about.

But after, and even during, UNC's 112-79 loss to No. 4 Maryland on Wednesday night, the Tar Heels seemed to be at the end of their ropes.

"Each loss is tough," said forward Will Johnson. "Especially when we play this way. It's disappointing. We didn't play well. But what are you gonna do? We just have to look ahead."

And after Maryland manhandled UNC, the future is not looking very bright. Just when it seems things can't get any worse -- see Saturday's worst-ever Smith Center loss -- they do. The Terrapins put up more points than any team has ever scored against UNC.

In fact, the Tar Heels are looking to break all sorts of records this season -- just not the type that go on the Smith Center's walls. Maryland was two points away from handing UNC its most lopsided conference loss, a record set in 1964 when the Tar Heels fell to Duke.

"What can I say?" said UNC coach Matt Doherty. "(Tonight) was a very difficult experience. ... We've got a long way to go. The biggest thing is for us to stick together and work hard and stay as positive as we can. This is a very difficult time, and these are some difficult games."

And the near future is not any easier. The Terps had their turn to toy with the Tar Heels, but next in line is No. 7 Virginia on Saturday. The Cavaliers are coming off two ACC losses and aren't going to let UNC lick its wounds for long.

"It's frustrating," Lang said. "We're having a real tough time. I wish I didn't have to go through this as a senior."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.