Harnessing His Musical Energy

Thomas Logan has helped form the Carolina Electronic Music Symposium, which targets electronic music fans.

Enthusiastic and quick-thinking, Logan discusses the genre with zeal, but he speaks in a smooth, even tone. He answers questions before they can be fully asked, but he eloquently finishes one thought before launching into another.

Even if you don't understand exactly what he means, you can follow easily.

Which isn't surprising to some of Logan's friends, who've always known he's a good communicator. "Thomas is one of those people who, once you start talking to him, you want to keep talking to him," said senior Beth Koontz, a longtime friend. "He would take the time to talk to anyone on the street."

Logan uses his people skills and knowledge of technology to help strengthen communities at UNC and beyond.

To find like-minded fans of the music style, Logan helped Koontz form Carolina Electronic Music Symposium in the fall of 2000 to cultivate the electronic music community. A fan of the genre since his junior year in high school, Logan was attracted to the music not only for its sound but also for its culture.

"The electronic music scene is a very open, accepting environment," Logan said.

But at UNC, Logan felt disconnected from others who shared his interest.

"As a freshman, I felt like one of the few people into the electronic music scene," Logan said. "But now, every time we have an event, we get more people."

Logan's group hosts speakers, live DJs and break dancers in an effort to draw attention to the electronic music scene on the UNC campus. The group also offers tutorials on spinning so the curious can learn about the music for themselves.

"We want to encourage educated discussion about electronic music," Logan said.

In addition to educating, the symposium also allows student DJs to hone their craft. Group members have had the opportunity to spin discs in the Pit, Lenoir Dining Hall and McCorkle Place.

"People learn ... by practicing," Logan said. "You just get a feel for which tracks go together."

Logan said he spends a few hours a week behind his own turn tables, which he received as a birthday gift more than a year ago.

He demonstrated his talent on air for the first time last Sunday as a guest on WXYC's New Science Experience, a weekly electronic music show.

Before then, college radio gave Logan an introduction to the music, as his interest was first piqued by a similar show aired on N.C. State University's student-run station. "Back then, everything was really underground. Nothing was on MTV or in commercials," Logan said.

But a lot has changed over the last six years. The electronic music scene has become more mainstream, complete with music videos and specialized clubs like Chapel Hill's Club NV.

Logan said the club will benefit the area's music scene as well as his group. "The cool thing about NV is they have the kind of sound system a world-class DJ would want to play on," Logan said. "Nowhere else in the Triangle has that, so it's been exciting for us."

But music is not Logan's only area of interest. Concerned with uniting the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, Logan volunteers at the Gay and Lesbian Help Line in Raleigh.

Incorporating technology into his service work, Logan is developing a Web site for the Orange County Rape Crisis Center for male victims of sexual assault on top of maintaining the Friday Center's computer system.

Using his skills and interests, Logan helps troubled LGBT community members receive information and comfort and makes partygoers dance to his tracks' rhythms.

And whether he's communicating through spinning or speech, you'll understand what he's saying.

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.