More Information May Be Put on IDs

The plan being discussed would create a type of national identification system by taking state IDs currently in use and electronically encoding them with information such as fingerprints and retinal scans.

The additional information proposed to be included in state licenses could further prevent criminals from using false identification. Advocates say the altered licenses could alert authorities if a suspected terrorist tries to enter the country or board an airplane.

Bill Jones, spokesman for the N.C. Department of Transportation, said he thinks the plan is a response to the recent acts of terrorism.

"I don't think there is any question that this plan comes in response to the September 11 attacks as a way to increase security," Jones said.

He said the plan is in its early stages and will not come to fruition until federal legislation is enacted.

The new license format would enable officials from one state to check and verify license information from any other state.

Thirty-seven states store information on licenses electronically using a magnetic stripe or bar code, but none include fingerprints or retinal scans.

Nathan Root, standards director for the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators, said the plan will make licenses more secure by making a definitive connection between the license and the person presenting it.

"Right now, the license just has the photo, and the photo can be altered, along with other information," Root said. "But a fingerprint can tie the license directly to the cardholder."

He also said that creating a system using the driver licenses that are already in place is more practical than developing a completely new system with ID cards.

But some privacy advocates are concerned the plan will allow authorities to electronically track citizens nationwide by creating a type of national identification system.

Root said he is not concerned that encoding fingerprints on licenses will cause privacy problems.

"It's really a matter of interpretation," he said. "Some will say it is invasion because there is fear that someone's activities can be tied together through scanning of licenses."

But Root said it might actually protect privacy by preventing similar-looking people from using the same license.

Root said it is important that groups do not abuse their privilege to obtain the type of information that would be included on the revamped state licenses.

"After scanning the license to make sure the person is who they say they are, the groups should then delete the information instead of storing it."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.