New Journalism Scholarship to Be Awarded at UNC

The scholarship was created in honor of the late Don Maurer and will award $1,000 to a qualified journalism student each year.

The scholarship, which will award its first recipient with $1,000 this year, was established in honor of the late Don Maurer, former president and chief executive officer of McKinney & Silver advertising agency in Raleigh.

After Maurer died unexpectedly in a single-car accident Oct. 20 at the age of 47, family members and friends gathered to create a fund of $20,000 to be awarded to students interested in pursuing a career in advertising.

The scholarship fund, which was initially established by Maurer's family, expanded when articles in Advertising Age, Adweek, The New York Times and The (Raleigh) News & Observer mentioned the fund and encouraged individuals and businesses that had worked with Maurer to make donations.

But after amassing the $20,000, Maurer's family didn't immediately know which institution would be the best recipient of the scholarship fund.

After a meeting including family members and others involved in creating the fund, UNC's journalism school was chosen, even though Maurer had no personal connection to the University.

McKinney & Silver, which examined potential university recipients with the family, has had a long-standing relationship with the journalism school through internships, said Janet Northen, McKinney & Silver's senior vice president and director of communications.

Robert Emanuel, an attorney who worked to establish the scholarship fund, contacted the school with the proposition of creating the scholarship fund and worked with school officials to make that proposition a reality.

"We were impressed with the (journalism) school and its prestigious faculty and prestigious alumni," he said.

Many of Maurer's former colleagues found the scholarship to be an appropriate remembrance of Maurer and said it was something that he would have appreciated.

"I think it's a wonderful tribute and a perfect, natural legacy," Northen said. "(Maurer) just lived and breathed advertising, and it's just so right. Don was a very passionate, dynamic, highly energetic man. ... He loved young people."

Applications for the scholarship are due Feb. 1.

Applicants must be juniors or seniors interested in a career in advertising who exhibit financial need and have at least a 2.7 grade point average.

Children of employees at McKinney & Silver are not eligible for the award.

The winner will be announced at the annual honors awards ceremony held by the journalism school March 29.

Contributions to the fund can be submitted to Jennifer Lamb in the UNC Office of Development.