North Carolina Increases Depth At RB With Kentucky Transfer

Former Wildcat Chad Scott rushed for 611 yards his freshman season and will join the Tar Heels in 2003.

Chad Scott, a 5-foot-10, 182-pound running back who played the last two seasons at Kentucky, will transfer to North Carolina, UNC coach John Bunting announced today.

"I'm excited that Chad has decided to become a Tar Heel," Bunting said. "He was one of the best backs in the SEC as a freshman but this past season was limited because of injury.

"He has strength, speed and with continued development here at Carolina, he can become an outstanding player. We're excited that he chose to complete his career as a Tar Heel."

A native of Plant City, Fla., Scott will enroll at UNC for the spring semester. He will sit out the 2002 season as a transfer student and will then have two years of eligibility remaining.

Scott played in 10 games and started eight as a freshman in 2000, leading the Wildcats in rushing with 611 yards on 130 carries and four touchdowns. He also caught 34 passes for 261 yards.

He was named first-team freshman All-SEC by the SEC coaches and was a third-team freshman All-America by The Sporting News.

He had more yards from scrimmage than any other freshman running back in the league. He had a career-high 117 yards rushing against Mississippi State.

Hampered by an ankle sprain in 2001, Scott played in just eight games and finished the year with 210 yards on 36 carries. He also caught 15 passes for 114 yards.

At Plant City High, Scott's career totals included 282 carries for 2,670 yards and 34 touchdowns. He averaged 9.5 yards per carry.

His best high school season came as a junior, when he rushed 95 times for 1,012 yards and 15 touchdowns. As a junior and senior, he caught 13 passes for 361 yards and two touchdowns.

Tucker Likely Out for Season

Freshman center Tiffany Tucker suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in her left knee during the North Carolina women's basketball game Monday night and is likely to miss the remainder of the 2001-02 season.

Tucker will begin a rehabilitation program immediately and is expected to undergo surgery in about three weeks, according to Dr. Tim Taft, UNC's director of sports medicine. Taft diagnosed the ACL tear during an examination Tuesday morning.

Tucker, a 6-5 player from Petersburg, Va., fell to the court with the injury after jumping for a rebound with more than a minute remaining in the game against Tennessee-Martin, a 90-67 win for North Carolina.

She played a total of four minutes, totaling three points and one block.

For the season, Tucker has appeared in 11 games, including two ACC contests. She is averaging 1.5 points and 1.3 rebounds in 4.5 minutes off the bench.

UNC 2nd in Sears Cup Standings

Stanford and UNC, the only Division I Sears Directors' Cup champions in the eight-year history of the program, hold the top two spots at the end of the fall 2001 season.

Stanford scored in seven of the eight fall sports and placed six teams in the top 10, including national championships in women's volleyball and men's water polo, to record 521 points.

North Carolina, the inaugural Sears Cup champion, is second with 305 points.