Officials, Stop Nickel-And-Diming Students With Tuition Increases

Few agree with all of Machiavelli's assertions; however, UNC could learn from at least one of them. "The Prince" suggests that a governing force inflict "evils" at once and not over a period of time.

How beautifully this could be applied to tuition increases! Last semester we paid (about) $50 extra ($500 out of state) in a retroactive tuition increase. Now a $400 hike is being called for, and the next order of business is discussing more increases!

You can hit someone and get away with it, but if you slap him everyday he will likely retaliate. Our patience and pockets are running out.

Solution? Give us time to accept these changes.

Don't show up unannounced and announce that the price has gone up on sold goods. Come to us and explain your request. We understand the need for competitive faculty salaries. Give us a plan to contemplate and prepare for, but don't nickel-and-dime us to death (and it's very generous to call $400 a dime) and then propose a plan. We begin to wonder if you can be sated because if you can't, why should we bother?

Granted, I don't know the ins and outs of the University's financial position.

What I do know is that when dealing with a mass like the student body, feeling can often eclipse fact. Consideration should always be given to the recipient of a demand, even if the demand is reasonable.

Otherwise UNC runs the risk of demeaning the students' financial contributions and thereby demeaning the students.

I bring this up because this generally wonderful University is in danger of making its students feel very unappreciated. Remember that it would not be the same without us, the students.

David Hillman

Sophomore

Mathematical Science