Poor Shooting Sinks Tar Heels Against State

The UNC women's basketball team shot just 26 percent from the floor in its 66-63 loss to N.C. State on Thursday.

Despite having four players score in double digits, the No. 17 Tar Heels shot 26 percent from the floor, including 19 percent from behind the arc, and allowed the Wolfpack to escape with a 66-63 win in front of 3,815.

For a team that normally feeds off of its deft outside touch, it was a disappointing way to snap a four-game winning streak.

"We were settling for the outside shot too much," said UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell. "And it's hard not to take it when you feel like you've got it and in other games you've made those shots."

The Wolfpack (9-6, 2-1 in the ACC) was led by Kaayla Chones, who scored 26 points and pulled down 16 rebounds. She filled the role of go-to inside scorer admirably with leading scorer and rebounder -- forward Carisse Moody -- unable to play because of an ankle injury.

The 'Pack starting front line ran roughshod over the Tar Heels (13-2, 3-1), combining for 57 points and 34 rebounds.

But thanks in large part to State's 27 turnovers, UNC still found themselves with a chance to win late in the game.

After UNC guard Nikki Teasley missed a jumper badly with the shot clock winding down, State forward Amy Simpson drove along the left baseline, drew the UNC defense and found a wide-open Talisha Scates in the paint. The forward laid the ball in for a 64-63 Wolfpack lead with 9.2 seconds left in the game.

Teasley brought the ball up the court and drove to the hoop. She met State guard Rachel Stockdale and was whistled for a charge with 5.6 seconds left. Scates hit two more free throws to ice the win.

Teasley questioned the call after the game, declaring adamantly that she did not commit a charge.

"She was still moving when I was up in the air," Teasley said. "Obviously, you can't be moving when somebody's up in the air shooting the ball. That's not a charge."

UNC forward Chrystal Baptist also expressed anger about the referees' foul-calling and accused the Wolfpack of pushing and undercutting UNC's players inside, as well. She said that was the case when center Candace Sutton went up for a rebound and came down with a sprained right ankle in the first half.

"I feel like they were cutting us under when we were jumping up," Baptist said. "She went up, and they took her legs from under her."

Physical play aside, the loss left the Tar Heels in need of quick improvement.

"Losing this game will help us win a lot more games," Hatchell said. "We'll learn from this and move on."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports.unc.edu.