Report Suggests Cloning Likely Would Fail

Last August, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill making it a crime for scientists to clone humans.

Based on experience with animals, the 11-member panel of scientists conducting the study said cloning aimed at creating a child would be dangerous for the woman, fetus and newborn. They also decided that any such attempt would most likely end in failure.

The report considered only the scientific and medical concerns of cloning. It did not examine the social and ethical implications of reproductive cloning, should it be determined medically safe.

The NRC often provides scientific advice to the federal government.

UNC biology Professor Walter Bollenbacher said most members of the scientific community agree with the recommendation of the NRC to ban reproductive cloning. "We begin to run great social risks by allowing cloning," he said. "I think a ban is appropriate. We are taking a fundamental stand on what can be done with human cloning."

A bill that would make it a crime for scientists to clone a human for any reason passed the U.S. House of Representatives in August. The Senate is set to debate the legislation next month.

Some scientific organizations -- including the NRC -- and university researchers are recommending that Bush allow research and cloning of stem cells.

The NRC said stem cell research has great potential to repair damaged tissue and to develop medical therapies to treat life-threatening diseases such as cancer or heart disease.

Bob Lowman, associate vice chancellor for research at UNC, said he thinks cloning for the reproduction of a human being is inappropriate but that stem cell research should continue.

He also said a proposed ban on cloning would not limit any research at the University. "Currently, there is no research even close to approaching the cloning of a human being," Lowman said. "There is no embryonic stem cell research taking place on campus, so there would be no impact on research here."

The NRC panel concluded that any reproductive cloning ban that might be implemented should be reassessed after no less than five years.

The report states that the proposed ban should only be lifted if there is scientific evidence that proves human cloning is safe. It also states that debates considering the ethical and social consequences of cloning should take place before the proposed ban is removed.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.