Senior Class Marshals Are Doing Best They Can To Secure Speaker

Kim Perry writes (The Daily Tar Heel, Jan. 11), "as a graduating senior, I do not support (a faculty member speaking at Commencement) and would suggest that many of my fellow classmates feel the same way." I think Perry is completely right. Most seniors would strongly prefer an "outside" speaker at graduation. The problem of securing a Commencement speaker is not a new one; I recall similar controversies over the past three years. Unfortunately, students have little insight into the complex speaker selection process -- at the heart of which is an eight-member faculty/student committee. In December, Chancellor James Moeser and Bernadette Gray-Little shared with the marshals how the University committee had been pursuing speakers for several months. Efforts to give the senior class as much ownership as possible had resulted with prospective speakers not being approached until the fall -- rather late for "big name" speakers who often book graduations several years in advance. Without a Commencement speaker in December, the chancellor suggested that the best, most pragmatic course of action might be to look within the University. After passionate discussion, the marshals decided to be supportive of this decision while encouraging the committee to engage other speaker possibilities -- which I understand (was) being done Monday. The marshals of 2002 recognize the inherently flawed speaker-selection process and are working hand-in-hand with administrators to correct it. We are searching for input concerning the best ways that interests of the University and future senior classes can be melded with the need to book speakers far in advance. My fellow seniors, I care about our class and our Commencement -- as do many of you and as do my fellow marshals. While the possibility of a faculty speaker may not be the most popular option, no matter who speaks at our graduation, we should be respectful of him or her.

Adina H. Dubin
Senior
Communication Studies