Senior Class Officers Say They Are Committed to Finding Quality Speaker

We feel it our duty to clear the air in response to the flurry of letters to the editor and the article written in last week's paper. First and foremost, no speaker has been chosen -- inside or outside of the University community. As your senior class officers we are two of an eight-member committee who is actively recommending speaker choices to the chancellor (who is ultimately the one issuing any kind of invitation.)

As your class officers we have solicited and advocated seniors' advice and have brought those names to the chancellor and fellow committee members.

We have remained diligent in our efforts despite the many setbacks that we have encountered since last September with some of the speaking candidates' schedules. The bottom line is this -- there is no speaker chosen yet, the committee and the chancellor are working hard to change that.

We are thankful for all the feedback that we have received in the form of print in The Daily Tar Heel as well as e-mails. Please, as your president and vice president we incur that all graduating seniors remain optimistic as we are.

Know that our unwavering commitment is to making sure that every graduating senior and their family remembers the Commencement of 2002 as one of the most memorable days of their lives. Stay tuned ...

Ben Singer
Senior Class President

Byron Wilson
Senior Class Vice President