Senior Disappointed In Choices For Spring Graduation Speaker

In Thursday's article concerning speaker selection for the 2002 Commencement ceremony, ("Speaker Selection to Focus on Faculty") senior class marshall Adina Dubin said, "The senior class is behind this decision," in reference to selecting a faculty member to speak at this year's graduation. As a graduating senior, I do not support this decision and would suggest that many of my fellow classmates feel the same way. What has the selection committee been doing for the past several months that they now must resort to this as the best option given the time constraints?

This solution is only mediocre at best, and the class of 2002 will have to accept the consequences of their selection committee's mediocre effort to find a speaker. I also disagree with class president (Ben) Singer's idea that a faculty member would be the best selection because they could reflect on the impact that Sept. 11 had on the University community.

Although I agree that the class of 2002 -- and every American -- has been affected by the terrorist attacks, I do not feel that Commencement should be yet another discussion of their implications.

Commencement is a chance for us seniors to celebrate and take pride in our accomplishments together as the class of 2002. As a final note, although Chuck Stone, Doris Betts or any other faculty member may be fine speakers, I could have taken their classes had I wanted to hear their perspectives. I never intended to wear a cap and gown for my final lecture at UNC.

Kim Perry
Senior
Journalism and Mass Communication

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide