Students Cautioned After Armed Robbery on Campus

A male and a female student were walking together when they were held up at gunpoint shortly after 9 p.m. in the parking area behind Morehead Planetarium next to Coker Arboretum, according to University police.

University police stated in a press release that the suspects took an undisclosed amount of money from the students. Police are seeking two men in connection with the crime. Both robbers are described as white men in their early 20s, police said. The release stated that one man had blonde hair and facial hair, and the other was thin and had brown hair.

University Police Chief Derek Poarch said although police have no official suspects, they are investigating several leads. He could give no further information.

The robbery was the first of its kind in recent history, Poarch said. "This is the first time a firearm has been used in a crime on campus in over three years."

Officials have posted composite sketches of the suspects and details about the crime throughout campus to heighten awareness of the incident.

University police also issued a news release Sunday morning that was distributed to all UNC students via e-mail. In the message, officials advocated traveling in pairs and using University or Chapel Hill Transit services whenever possible.

"We continue to encourage people to follow our safety tips," Poarch said.

He said students should avoid the area where the incident occurred and other areas that are dimly lit and isolated. "It is certainly not an area we would encourage people to walk through," Poarch said.

Sophomore Stefanie Cresante said this incident is more disturbing to her than other campus assaults because one of the victims was male. "Most of the time, I bring a guy to feel safer (when I go out)," she said.

But Cresante said that although she takes safety precautions regularly when walking at night, she doesn't usually feel threatened.

Other students said they plan to change their habits in response to the robbery.

Senior Courtney Aderhold said she usually rides her bike through the Arboretum to get to a 6:30 p.m. class. "I probably won't do that this week," she said.

But she also said the robbery this weekend will not have a lasting impact on her outlook on campus safety. "I've never felt unsafe here, and I don't think just because someone got robbed it will drastically alter that feeling."

Police are asking anyone with information about the robbery to call University police or Carrboro-Chapel Hill Crime Stoppers at 942-7515.