Today's Youth Lack True Zeal For Athletics

The demise of pure athletics is upon us. Gone are the good ol' days of playing tackle football with neighborhood kids in your front yard, and what has arrived is not pretty.

It's not just kids' sports, but from the little tots all the way to college and the pros, athletics aren't what they used to be.

First, the commercialization of athletics in both amateur and professional sports has crept up on us and squeezed the very purity out of the game.

Not a single sporting event passes without sponsorship from beer or car companies or one of those annoying 10-10-phone services.

Moreover, from the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl to Budweiser commercials, from individual shoe and apparel sponsorships to -- perhaps the most upsetting -- the new Fleet Center (aka the former beloved Boston Gardens), it seems that no part of athletics is untouched by corporations.

One might argue that commercialization of sports has not crossed the line because, for the most part, it's regulated. For example, professional football, basketball, hockey and baseball athletes are prohibited from endorsing alcohol products while they are participating in their respective leagues. Perhaps it is the leagues' altruism and obvious concern for the welfare of their youthful fans that they mandate such a rule.