Town Officials Request Halt on Road Work

Foy, who made it part of his 2001 mayoral platform to challenge the Town Council's January 2001 decision to expand the road to three lanes, is expected to submit the request soon. The town's decision clashed with the NCDOT's wish to make the road four lanes wide.

The council's Monday night decision came in response to a report the council received from the 25-member Citizens Committee to Study Traffic Safety Issues on Weaver Dairy Road, which was created in August 2001. The group studied the short- and long-term traffic safety issues on Weaver Dairy Road.

The committee also was charged with the task of developing traffic-calming measures. The suggestions were divided between short-term improvements that could be implemented before the current NCDOT roadwork is completed and ideas that could be incorporated into the NCDOT's long-term vision for Weaver Dairy Road.

The report, presented by committee Chairman Paul Caldwell, was divided into four major sections: pedestrian safety, speeding, traffic flow and problems regarding traffic turning left off of the road.

Caldwell, a UNC senior, then listed the top five priority items that the committee felt the Town Council should approve immediately, including traffic light installation at various intersections and sidewalk construction along the road.

The council also heard comments from a few members of the committee. All the speakers requested that the council take action to prevent the NCDOT's planned project to widen Weaver Dairy Road, which they fear will encourage motorists to treat the road like an interstate.

After hearing the committee members' concerns, the council amended an original resolution -- requiring the committee to send its findings to the NCDOT -- to include a request that the NCDOT stop its efforts on expansion of the road.

In addition, the council is going to request that the NCDOT not reallocate the funds earmarked for the expansion to other possible projects. In doing so, the council hopes to hold the money for future projects.

The committee's report will be reviewed by Town Manager Cal Horton and the town's engineering department before again being brought up before the council. The council must approve the altered report before it is sent to the NCDOT. The transportation board, the planning board and the bicycle-pedestrian board also will review the committee's report.

The resolution passed 6-2 with council members Pat Evans and Edith Wiggins voting in opposition.

Evans said she opposed the resolution because "the amendment regarding the DOT to cease and desist their current work was sprung on us out of the blue."

Bill Stockard, assistant town manager, said it could take several months for the town staff to revise the committee's report.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.