TPAC Talks Center on Finances

Among the topics discussed at the meeting were the expected budget shortfall and future expenditures.

The financial information included an outline of the parking budget, the fund balance for this year and debt projections.

According to TPAC documents, the committee estimates that the Department of Public Safety will need $2 million to balance its 2002-03 budget.

DPS is shouldering additional costs from such sources as fare-free transit, increased Chapel Hill Transit services and operational inflationary increases.

The committee also projected that the University's Development Plan will create even more expenditures during the next eight years.

Associate Vice Chancellor Carolyn Elfland said the University has not specified how it will fund the parking portion of the Development Plan. Under the plan, UNC will be required to pay for the construction of three parking lots and four decks by 2008.

"The (UNC) Board of Trustees is interested in how we are going to accommodate the park-and-ride and the transit element of the Development Plan," Elfland said. "They are concerned about how the complications of the Development Plan are to be met."

Chairman Bob Knight said TPAC's goal is to devise reasonable recommendations to present to the Board of Trustees in March on the potential costs of the Development Plan and a number of parking and transportation-related issues.

The committee also decided to push back the date of the proposed student and faculty forums to discuss night parking and other parking-related issues. The forums, originally set for Jan. 22, were delayed so the committee can present its recommendations to the public.

The idea to develop the recommendations before the forums came after Assistant Provost Linda Carl said she thought the committee could benefit from further research. "We would have a hard time coherently presenting information to the University community when we as a committee are not clear as to what we are absolutely going to have to do this year," she said.

The members also addressed a recent court ruling that could force the University to turn over all revenue it collects from parking fines to the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools.

Elfland said the prospect of an appeal of the ruling that would favor the University "looks slim." UNC stands to lose as much as $700,000 in parking fine revenue this year.

Also at Wednesday's meeting, Assistant Director of Transportation Cheryl Stout distributed the results of the Office of Institutional Research's final night parking program survey. At the next committee meeting, Jan. 16, the members will discuss night parking scenarios, some of which might include a charge for night parking on campus.

Stout also plans to present research highlighting the revenue that could be generated from the implementation of this program.