Tract Developing Committee Slots Filled by Officials

The Horace Williams tract, a 575-acre lot, will have room for 500,000 square feet of office space and will create 25,000 jobs.

At the Orange County Board of Commissioners' meeting Wednesday night, Commissioners Barry Jacobs and Margaret Brown nominated themselves to serve as members on the planning committee. The board unanimously approved the candidates.

Jacobs and Brown will join other local government leaders contributing to the creation of a development plan for part of the Horace Williams tract, a University-owned property that spans northwest Chapel Hill and parts of Carrboro.

"The Horace Williams tract will be an immense development that will have influence on the economic development of the county," said Tony Waldrop, UNC's vice chancellor for research and graduate studies, who will lead the planning committee.

The 575-acre property is slated to be developed over a period of 50 years and is planned to be transformed into a state-of-the-art, mixed-use complex including research, residential, retail and recreational facilities.

Officials estimate that there will be 500,000 square feet allotted for new research and office space. The development also likely will allow for about 25,000 new jobs and welcome 3,000 residents to the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area.

While the immediate future of the tract is uncertain, Waldrop said he is looking forward to collaborating with the different parties. "I want to have all the players that will be impacted by this development," Waldrop said.

The planning committee is composed of two commissioners, two Chapel Hill Town Council members, two Carrboro Board of Aldermen members and a small selection of community members. The selected Chapel Hill Town Council members are Jim Ward and Flicka Bateman. Alderman Diana McDuffee and Carrboro Mayor Mike Nelson will represent the Carrboro Board of Aldermen in the planning process.

The final task for establishing the committee's membership is the selection of local residents. The number of residents that will be selected and the time frame have yet to be determined.

Commissioners expressed enthusiasm Wednesday about contributing to the planning process and being able to voice concerns about the land development.

Jacobs said he anticipates that the committee, once it comes to fruition, will hash out any concerns the principal players might have.

"We have concerns -- about transportation, housing, school concerns to name a few."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.