Aldermen Approve List of Land Projects

The list prioritizes land projects that will be funded by the $75 million bond package passed last fall.

The bond is one component of the $75 million package approved by Orange County voters last fall that allocates money to schools, senior centers and affordable housing. The Orange County Board of Commissioners has asked Carrboro, Chapel Hill and Hillsborough officials to prioritize the projects they would like to see subsidized by the bond referendum.

Richard Kinney, director of the Carrboro Department of Recreation and Parks, presented a report Tuesday to the aldermen regarding each land project and the amount of bond money allocated to the different developments.

"Fortunately, at least the bond money didn't lock us in specific areas," Kinney said.

The aldermen made one change to the proposal that would give Orange County the right to approve all management decisions in the three towns. This move would not strip the towns of the responsibility of handling operations for the parks.

Alderman Mark Dorosin said the addendum was repetitive and unnecessary when countered with another part of the policy statement that gives town officials the right to oversee operation and management of these same parks.

Dorosin said the board should suggest a deletion of the addendum from the policy statement draft because he thinks it encroaches upon the municipalities' jurisdiction in managing their parks.

Dorosin is a member of the Inter-Governmental Parks Work Group, a committee composed of representatives from all local governments in Orange County. The committee worked with county staff to develop the land plan.

Carrboro's most pressing land projects include a park at Smith Middle School, the "Soccer Superfund," the Chapel Hill Township Park and additional land acquisition for future parks, nature preserves and joint town and county open space for greenways.

Carrboro Mayor Mike Nelson said he doesn't completely agree with the prioritization of land projects in the bond referendum.

Nelson suggested a priority list including the Smith Middle School and "Soccer Superfund" as the most important, followed by land acquisition for greenways and open space. Last on the priority list is the Chapel Hill Township Park. Nelson also emphasized the importance of open space in Orange County.

"I just want us to make the strongest case that we can for the open greenways," Nelson said.

One important part of maintaining open space in Orange County is the Land Legacy program. This program gathers land for all county residents and is heavily supported by the aldermen.

"I think we should push for (Land Legacy)," Dorosin said. "It serves residents all over the county."

Alderman Diana McDuffee said she agrees that land acquisition should be a top concern for both Orange County and Carrboro.

She said, "I agree with the priorities that have been outlined and hope to see these new projects benefit the entire county, not just our jurisdiction."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.