Aldermen Discuss Future Plans for Parking

At Tuesday's Board of Aldermen meeting, Carrboro Transportation Planner Dale McKeel gave a presentation detailing how to lessen the number of cars parking on Pine, Oak and Cheek streets, while still providing ample parking for new residents.

The streets run parallel to each other in west Carrboro and all run into Hillsborough Street.

The study was requested by the Board of Aldermen on Oct. 9, 2001, as part of a deal giving developers the green light to build new housing on Pine Street. Because new developments would bring more cars to the area, the aldermen conducted the study so they could prevent any future parking problems for student and resident tenants in the area.

The traffic problem on Pine Street is growing because of the rapid influx of new tenants, most of whom are students. Pine Street was a hot topic for the Board of Aldermen last July when residents clashed with student renters over the atmosphere of the area, including limited parking.

But landlord Armin Lieth, who was one of the developers building on Pine Street in October 2001, said it is not feasible to have more people move in without increasing the amount of traffic.

"Part of the problem is that this is a bigger issue that goes into density," Lieth said. "If you are going to increase the density of a neighborhood, you have to increase the traffic."

At the meeting, Alderman Diana McDuffee proposed three solutions -- banning night parking, requiring parking on only one side of the street or eliminating on-street parking completely.

McKeel told the Board of Aldermen that a quick fix for residents who presently don't have a place to park is to use their lawns or driveways.

The aldermen also expressed concern that an increase in traffic on these streets could lead to the eventual blockage of driveways, fire hydrants and the street itself.

McKeel said the Carrboro Fire and Police departments were concerned about travel lanes being obstructed because officials might not be able to reach an injured person.

"On streets such as these, there could be some public safety concerns for the pedestrian," McKeel said. At the same time, the fire and police officials believe it would be better for the neighborhood to make this request (for traffic regulations)."

But some Aldermen said they want residents to get more involved in creating a solution for the problem.

Carrboro Mayor Mike Nelson said the residents should take the first step in initiating the process.

"I have a slight preference in waiting for a petition to come from the neighborhood," Nelson said.

Police records indicate that there have been no parking complaints since September.

The Board of Aldermen plans to petition the residents about their views on the crowded streets before they act on any traffic regulations.

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.