Don't Complain About Student Government; Instead Get Involved

Johanna Costa's article is just the latest addition to the repeated slams on Student Body President-elect Jen Daum. Frankly, I'm impressed that Jen has maintained her much higher level of conduct and didn't stoop to pathetic and embarrassing levels like The Daily Tar Heel.

Jen did not win just because she is a pretty female. She has not only an outstanding platform but also the support of the majority of students who voted and of three former candidates. Jen has extensive experience in student government and several other campus organizations, a wonderful personality, and proven leadership ability. We do choose leaders with the ability to represent us effectively, and we did elect Jen Daum. If you don't like how student government operates, stop complaining about it and get involved! Don't unjustly insult the student body president-elect who has stood up to the challenge of running student government to make the difference you apparently want while you constantly criticize her. It would make much more sense for the DTH to support the campus leaders instead of undermining them.

It didn't matter that Jen had only one endorsement; the DTH even discussed the fact that endorsements are losing their influence. The DTH endorsed a candidate, but after the way the editorial board has acted recently, why would anyone listen? Will McKinney gathered nearly half of the votes, but you can't say Jen lacks support because the competition was strong. And how ridiculous to insult her picture! What difference does her appearance make on her ability to motivate and lead the student body? A high cell phone bill, how unlike numerous other students on this campus! (Not to mention that it was a direct result of her work on the campaign.) Jumping over tables, publicly crying, making fun of her platform -- she happens to have a sense of humor and was excited about her victories!

There has been enough of this childish derision; it's time that the DTH accepts the fact that Jen Daum won the election and will soon be leading our student government and starts supporting Jen for her term in office.

Ashley Marie Castevens
Freshman
School of Pharmacy