Editorial Cartoon Misrepresented Daum As a 'Beauty Queen'

The Feb. 20 cartoon depicting our campus student body president-elect as a "beauty queen" was distasteful and disrespectful. I have not only spoken to women on campus but also several men, who were greatly disturbed by the message The Daily Tar Heel was attempting to send.

Women have been historically underrepresented in visible leadership positions on campus. Jen Daum is only our third female student body president in 81 years. Comparing her victory to a beauty contest belittles this achievement. Every seemingly small instance when women are portrayed negatively cultivates acceptance of greater societal issues facing women today (i.e. equal pay, child care, work balance.) You can't change the bigger picture until you change the small details.

Brook Corwin's Feb. 21 article, "Daum Breaks UNC Elections Trend" is a step in the right direction. Pointing out trends on our campus is one way to increase awareness and engage students in the process. Hopefully, women (and men) will be encouraged and seek to become more involved in visible campus positions and issues. Sending mixed messages in the DTH is not the way to accomplish change.

Stephanie Schmitt
Graduate Student
School of Government