Employee Forum Discusses Gerrard Hall's Future

The forum effectively killed a resolution opposing an increase in the cost of parking permits and the possible institution of an employee transit fee. The forum tabled discussion on the issue until a later time.

But the group did pass a resolution to designate Gerrard Hall as an "interfaith place of reflection, quiet thought and spiritual inquiry."

Increasing the price of permits and implementing an employee transit fee are two of the main options being discussed by the Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee to generate funds to alleviate a $2 million deficit in the Department of Public Safety's expected budget for 2002-03.

The resolution stated that the forum is opposed to these options because employees have been subject to pay cuts caused by "paltry state salary increases and dramatic rises in health insurance costs."

The resolution also noted that an increase in the cost of parking permits represents a "diminution of compensation" to employees who need these permits for transportation to their jobs.

The other main option TPAC is considering is a charge for night parking. In the proposal, the Employee Forum advised TPAC to fund the budget with money from departmental accounts and to implement a night parking program with a maximum $50 fee per semester.

Jimmy Workman, one of the Employee Forum's representatives on TPAC, said if the forum passed the resolution, he would have to resign as a TPAC representative because it would render his position on TPAC ineffective. "I have absolutely no negotiation room with this resolution," he said.

The forum's other TPAC representative, Joanne Kucharski, said she would have to resign as well.

Workman's comments led the forum to table discussion of the resolution, but Employee Forum Chairman Tommy Griffin said he will call a special meeting of the executive committee to discuss where to go next with the proposal.

Griffin and other members of the forum concluded that the administration needs to look at other areas to generate funds to cover parking and transportation costs.

"The staff, students and faculty need to say, 'This is your problem, you need to fix it' to the administration," he said.

Employee Forum members also urged DPS and student government to expand Point-2-Point services at night to ensure the safety of students, faculty and staff.

"If one student feels unsafe, day or night, then there are safety issues we need to deal with," Griffin said. "I don't ever want students to think we're not out there for them."

The resolution to make Gerrard a spiritual venue, similar to Person Hall, was originally proposed in May 2001 by UNC alumna Bronwyn Leech. The Employee Forum concluded that Gerrard's conversion would strengthen the original intent of UNC's founders, who designated Person as a place of spiritual reflection.

Gerrard is used to host classes, concerts and other University functions. But delegates of the Employee Forum said Gerrard might become a place for alumni, students, faculty and staff to hold weddings, baptisms, funerals and memorial services.

Leech said she thinks the proposal will now go to the chancellor, who she expects will approve the project now that the employees have given it their go-ahead.

"Everyone's been very encouraging," Leech said. "I'm definitely pleased with its progress so far."