Faculty Criticize BOG Plan

Provost Shelton told faculty members Friday that UNC could lose $5.8 million with systemwide tuition plans.

Chancellor James Moeser said the UNC-system Board of Governors will vote on two systemwide tuition increase proposals at its March 6 meeting.

A 4.8 percent systemwide increase would help UNC-system schools meet need-based financial aid obligations, Moeser said. The other proposal, a 10 percent increase, would fund need-based aid and subsidize enrollment growth.

But UNC-CH meets 100 percent of its aid requirements and anticipates limited growth, so it would receive minimal funding from these increases, Moeser said.

Faculty Council Chairwoman Sue Estroff said UNC-CH should not be penalized for maintaining enrollment. "Money paid from students on our campus will go to other campuses to use for enrollment growth or as they see fit," she said. "In these times this is an intolerable move and one that is our responsibility to oppose with logic and passion."

Faculty members spent the bulk of the meeting's discussion period asking why UNC-CH is being held responsible for other system schools' growth.

Some faculty said they did not think UNC-CH was being served well by the BOG. "We should consider why we continue to be a part of this system that Bill Friday created," said Philip Bromberg, a professor in the School of Medicine.

Provost Robert Shelton said three other UNC-system schools stand to lose funds if the proposal is passed. But these schools are expected to lose no more than $400,000 each, while UNC-CH is expected to lose $5.8 million, he said.

Shelton said funds from the tuition hike would be collected from all UNC-system schools and distributed to those who meet the standards of need.

He said it is not fair to use the money in this case because these funds are raised from student tuition dollars. "I get the feeling that the University is being viewed as a cash cow," Shelton said.

In addition to the systemwide tuition increase, the BOG will vote on several campus-initiated tuition increases.

Estroff said she is concerned that the BOG will lower the amount of the proposed UNC-CH increase from $400 to $200 or $250, which could render the increase ineffective because nearly all funds raised would go to need-based aid.

Moeser said 40 percent of the $400 increase would go to need-based financial aid; 30 percent to support for faculty salaries; 24 percent to pay for additional faculty, especially in the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Journalism and Mass Communication; and 6 percent to graduate student stipends.

Faculty members also unanimously passed a resolution calling for a faculty seat on the UNC-CH Board of Trustees.

Estroff said she thinks this seat will become a reality. "I am cautiously hopeful that in the foreseeable future we will have that long-overdue seat at the table."