Helms Reverses Position on HIV, AIDS Research

The Associated Press reported Thursday that Helms told hundreds of people at the "Prescription for Hope" conference, held by Samaritan's Purse, in Washington, D.C. this week that he regrets not exerting more effort against the worldwide epidemic.

"I have been too lax too long in doing something really significant about AIDS," Helms said, according to the AP. "I'm not going to lay it aside on my agenda for the remaining months I have (in office)."

Helms, who is nearing the end of his fifth term in office, is notorious for his opposition to gay rights and AIDS and HIV research.

Helms said he turned to Franklin Graham, chief executive officer of Samaritan's Purse, for guidance on how to deal with the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

Several AIDS activists said they are pleased that Helms intends to do more to fight the deadly disease.

Patsy Clarke, who lost her son, Mark, to AIDS, wrote a plea to Helms in 1994, trying to convince him to cease his opposition to AIDS research.

After receiving a reply from Helms stating that he was unwilling to change his stance on homosexuality and AIDS, Clarke co-founded Mothers Against Jesse in Congress.

Clarke said she was not angry at Helms for his response, but found Helms' stand on AIDS unsettling.

"I was disturbed that such a view could exist in someone so powerful," she said.

But after Helms' speech, Clarke said she is pleased with his change in attitude. "I'm very glad he's more amenable to AIDS research," she said. "It seems he has a more accepting view."

Although Clarke said she thinks Helms has taken the first step in halting his indifference toward AIDS research, she does not think Helms' views on homosexuality have changed.

"I didn't see any change in his view of gay people," she said. "I see a change in his willingness to treat the disease of AIDS. That's definitely a good step."

Jeremy Blume, public relations account executive for The DeMoss Group Inc. -- the public relations firm representing Samaritan's Purse -- said people like Helms who were late responding to AIDS and HIV often thought the virus would not be as widespread a problem as it has become. "A lot of people thought there would be a pill to cure AIDS by now," he said. "Now, there's 40 million people living with AIDS in Africa. Something must be done."

Clarke said she is thankful for Helms' ability to admit he was wrong in opposing AIDS research.

"It takes a strong person to admit they are shamed," she said. "I am grateful at (Helms') ability to admit he has shame."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.