Local Officials Worried About Fire Violations

Two fraternity houses had a high number of fire code violations, and fire department officials are concerned about awareness.

Pi Kappa Phi fraternity's 27 fire code violations and Phi Gamma Delta fraternity's 11 violations were the highest among the 24 houses examined in the fall 2001 UNC Fraternity & Sorority Report, published Wednesday.

Shawn Manberg, president of Pi Kappa Phi, said members of the fraternity were surprised by the number of violations, but he believes the house is not in danger. "We're concerned that that number is out because it doesn't look good on the house, and it doesn't reflect the safety of the house. This is a very safe house."

Chapel Hill fire code violation reports state that Pi Kappa Phi's 27 violations -- ranging from broken exit lights to overloaded extension cords -- were all fixed before a third inspection last fall.

Phi Gamma Delta had 11 fire code violations in the fall but has yet to meet with the fire department for another inspection, reports state. Chapel Hill Fire Chief Dan Jones said lack of communication between many fraternities and the fire department is common.

"Finding the responsible parties is the hardest part of the deal -- they don't return our phone calls, they don't keep appointments. So we go to the house, and everybody says that they don't know anything -- that they aren't in charge," Jones said.

A third inspection of the Phi Gamma Delta house should occur this semester, and the fraternity might face a fine for non-compliance, Fire Marshal Caprice Mellon said.

A fraternity that consistently does not comply with fire department regulations could face up to $500 in fines or eviction, town attorney Ralph Karpinos said.

In 1996, five students died in a fire at the Phi Gamma Delta house. Phi Gamma Delta Fire Marshal Breck Gibbs said the fraternity has been making vast safety improvements since the 1996 fire. The most important thing is to make sure the number of fire code violations goes down, he said.

Since the Phi Gamma Delta fire, the town has required the installation of sprinkler systems in fraternity and sorority houses. But Jones said he has seen a decrease in fire awareness as memories of the tragedy fade.

"We had real good compliance for two to three years after the Phi Gamma Delta fire," he said. "Everybody remembered the fire or knew people who died, but now we're back to dealing with the complacency. We knew this would happen."

The average number of fire code violations has remained low during the last few years, said Jay Anhorn, director of Greek affairs. Last semester, the average per house was four, he said.

Anhorn said the number has remained steady because his office makes sure the fraternities and sororities work closely with the fire department to eliminate hazards in the houses.

The fraternities and sororities must schedule their inspection for this semester by March 6. About half of UNC's sororities have already made appointments for this semester, but only one of the fraternities has called, Mellon said. "We haven't exactly had the phones ringing off the hook with them calling to schedule these things. I hope they start calling."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.