Sunday, June 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

New Political Review Seeks Staff Members

A new student-run political magazine is looking for staff members interested in state, national and international politics.

The founders of The Hill: Chapel Hill Political Review said they hope to offer a more balanced political viewpoint than current campus magazines.

"Our goal is to examine the values and the ideological conflicts involved in current events," said freshman Tre Jones, the magazine's copy editor. "We want lots of different opinions, (like) minority opinions. The only criteria for someone who wants to write is that they write well and support their arguments rather than spouting rhetoric."

Jones said The Hill will provide a forum for both liberal and conservative viewpoints. "We want to appeal to more centrist readers who are turned off by Boiling Point and Carolina Review," Jones said, referring to the liberal- and conservative-leaning magazines currently published on campus.

Members said a typical issue of the magazine will contain nonpartisan analysis of political issues, often by writers of opposing views. By presenting in-depth analysis, staff members said the articles will be focused on the issues rather than biased opinions. "We want to pursue the truth rather than advocate what we think is the truth," Jones said.

Most of UNC's peer institutions have undergraduate political reviews, such as the Harvard Political Review, that are very highly regarded nationwide, Jones said. "Our long-term goal is to have readership beyond the University," he said.

In addition to student writers, the magazine's staff said they would like to have local politicians contribute. "A (magazine) cover letter from (Gov.) Mike Easley would be spectacular," Jones said, who added that reader contributions will also be welcome.

The tentative date for The Hill's first issue is March 28. Jones said the magazine eventually will be on a monthly schedule when school is in session.

Jones said the magazine will be funded by Student Congress, and that in the future, staff members might consider seeking subscription or advertising revenue.

The magazine, which will be advised by journalism Professor Chuck Stone, will have a general interest meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday on the third floor of New West Hall.

Anyone interested in working for the magazine is welcome to apply. Applications are currently available on The Hill's Web site at http://cws.unc.edu/thehill.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide