ONE Card Office Changes Locations

The ONE Card office is moving from the second floor of Student Stores to the basement, where it will have an entrance on South Road that is accessible from the street and by the recently reopened Pit stairs.

Megan Keefe, assistant manager of the ONE Card office, said the new location will increase the office's capabilities.

She said the new office will contain duplicates of the ONE Card's most-used machines. In addition, she said the office will soon start to print Wachovia bank cards. "We will need a much higher level of security," Keefe said.

Nathan Shafar, a processing assistant who works full-time at the ONE Card office, said the move would improve conditions for employees as well as students. "There's no room for anything (in the old location)," he said.

Shafar said the clutter that plagued the upstairs ONE Card office will be reduced in the new office. He said the new location offers more space, better lighting and greater handicapped accessibility.

The biggest crunch for the ONE Card office typically comes at the beginning of each semester, when students replace lost cards, buy meal plans and set up expense accounts. Shafar said the office has operated a satellite office in the Union Cabaret during crunch time each fall. But the new office eliminates the need for a satellite office, he said.

"We'll be able to make cards a lot quicker, especially at the beginning of the semester," Keefe said.

That's a change freshman Cassidy Shelley said she will appreciate. She lost her ONE Card in the middle of last semester, and she said that when she went to replace it, she had to wait longer than she thought was necessary. "Usually it's really busy, especially after certain classes," Shelley said.

She said she hopes more space will improve the office's operation. "That would make the lines move more quickly and efficiently."