SBP-elect Jen Daum Doesn't Have to Prove Herself to Other Voters

The author seemed more offended that Daum is a sorority girl who takes pictures at Glamour Shots than she did about anything else. This reference was the underlining tone throughout the whole article. Second, the author seemed to be upset that Daum had "shamelessly took on ideas of other candidates to boost her own innovative-less platform." I recall reading in The Daily Tar Heel that after the other candidates did not make it to the runoff say that they hope whoever becomes president will take into consideration their platform ideas. So I believe that Daum did a smart thing because she was nice enough to incorporate other people's ideas and she strengthen her own platform at the same time.

Third, I don't think Daum used the female card. I don't see what is wrong with Daum standing on top of a table to give her thanks to the audience. Will McKinney did the same thing, as I recall reading in the DTH.

The only difference between his standing on top of a table and Daum's action was that she cried. She shouldn't be picked on because she was crying tears of joy. Because she is a woman and she cried in public doesn't mean she was using the female card. I hope this writer does not think she is representing the apathetic students on campus because she just sounded bitter throughout the whole article. Daum does not have to prove herself the 47 percent who did not vote for her; she has already proven herself to the 52 percent who supported her.

Adrianne L. Graves
Freshman
Journalism and Mass Communication