Sprained Ankle Could Sideline UNC's Williams

North Carolina forward Jawad Williams sprained his ankle late in the second half of Sunday's win against FSU.

Williams suffered the injury in a pileup under the basket late in the game against Florida State, when Seminole center Nigel Dixon fell on him. Williams left the Smith Center with the aid of crutches.

"He's OK," said North Carolina coach Matt Doherty after the game. "I'm laughing because Marc Davis said to Jawad on the floor, 'Jawad, where does it hurt?'

"He said, 'It hurts all over.' He said, 'Nigel is basically a big boy.' We laughed so I know he's not hurt too bad."

X-rays on Monday showed a sprain but no fracture.

Williams is averaging 9.5 points and 4.1 rebounds per game this season. He is third on the team in scoring and rebounding behind seniors Jason Capel and Kris Lang.

Women's Soccer Unveils Recruits

North Carolina women's soccer coach Anson Dorrance announced his recruiting class Monday. The group of eight players includes five from North Carolina, the most newcomers UNC has ever brought in from the state in one year.

The recruiting class includes midfielder/forward Corrine Black of Candler, N.C.; Lori Chalupny of St. Louis, Mo.; defender/midfielder Kendall Fletcher of Cary, N.C.; goalkeeper Tyler Griffin of Charlotte, N.C.; forward Brynn Hardman of Raleigh, N.C.; defender Amy Steadman of Brevard, N.C.; forward/midfielder Lindsay Tarpley of Kalamazoo, Mich.; and midfielder Kacey White of Arlington, Texas.

"I think the recruiting analysts will judge this another great class athletically," Dorrance said. "But what I like best about it is the kinds of people they are and what they'll bring to us off the field, as well.

"We are also very excited about the number of quality North Carolinians coming out this year. It's a powerful statement about the development of the game in this state."

Chalupny and Steadman both have played for the U.S. national team, with Steadman earning four caps.

Tarpley, White and Fletcher all are members of the U.S. Under-19 National Team.