Sunshine Fix Shines On 'Age of the Sun'

Age of the Sun

Four Stars

The Sunshine Fix isn't just walking on sunshine. It's dancing, and it makes you want to do the same.

On Age of the Sun, the Athens, Ga.-based group has put out a psychedelic, upbeat blend of light-hearted tunes, most of which are paeans to the sun and its amazing ability to ... well, come out every day. Like, whoa, dude.

The Sunshine Fix often shows its sun-shiny bliss through clear inspiration from other bands. These influences are best heard in "Sail Beyond the Sunset."

Beginning with a light, classic-sounding guitar beat, this track could at first be mistaken for a Beatles song. An energetic group of voices belts out prolonged high notes that are very Phish-y. Memories of the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" are also woven in with some cutesy notes and distorted electric guitar playing.

Despite the band's unmistakable habit of borrowing from other groups, its members are not hacks nor is the album a rip-off. The Sunshine Fix develops its own style with unique transitions between songs and the blending of traditional rock sounds with unconventional instruments.

For example, instead of dead space between the album's energetic title track and the good-natured "That Ole Sun," the band inserts the transitional "Ultraviolet Orchestra" between the two, making all three tracks into one psychedelic montage. This transition is smooth, yet full of instrumental variation, ranging from unexpected slow cello playing to trippy guitar riffs.

This creative instrumental experimentation is essential to the music's unique quality. At times, it provides a much-needed change of pace, like in "See Yourself."

Throughout the track, a constant, eclectic beat is maintained. But the instruments change from a traditional electric guitar to a Beach Boys-esque synthesizer to a surprising piano. Abrupt interruptions make the music sound all the more innovative, setting The Sunshine Fix apart from its numerous influences.

It isn't often that emerging artists are able to draw techniques from their artistic predecessors without exploiting them. But, in the midst of shameless imitation of the classics that brings nothing new to the music scene, The Sunshine Fix and its highly contagious mirth are a breath of fresh air.