Swimmers Lead Championships After Day 1

UNC's Christy Watkins placed first in the 50-yard freestyle to lead the Tar Heels to a nine-point edge Thursday.

The two-time defending champion Tar Heels scored 204 points. Florida State is second with 195 points, and Virginia is third with 181 points.

UNC's Christy Watkins touched first in the 50-yard freestyle, while Katie Hathaway and Becky Acker placed second and third, respectively, in the 200-yard individual medley.

The three-day event concludes Saturday.

Runners Earn Conference Honors

GREENSBORO -- The ACC named UNC's Shalane Flanagan indoor track and field player of the year and Erin Donohue rookie of the year Thursday. The awards are voted on by the league's nine head coaches.

Flanagan, a sophomore, was the recipient of the ACC's Most Valuable Performer after she captured first place in the mile run with a time of 4 minutes, 42.35 seconds and the 3,000 meters in 9:19.85. She also was the anchor of the first-place distance medley relay team.

Donohue, a freshman, competed in the mile and the 800-meter run. She posted a third-place finish in the 800 with a time of 2:10.76 and a fourth-place time of 4:48.24 in the mile run.

Men's Soccer Names New Assistant

The North Carolina men's soccer team announced Thursday that Carlos Somoano is the new head assistant coach.

Somoano, who replaces Oliver Weiss, comes to UNC from Virginia Commonwealth, where he was an assistant coach for six years.