Tax Proposal May Spark Controversy

But other political pundits speculate that the proposal might unite Democrats against Republican tax strategies.

Wellstone's tax proposal urges Congress to suspend future tax reductions for the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans. The proposal, which opposes President Bush's tax strategy, also intends to use the additional tax revenue for education.

Deemed a "rollback," Wellstone's tax proposal targets couples who file a joint income of more than $297,300.

Bush's plan would grant the same demographic tax breaks in 2004 and 2006 that would total about $121 billion dollars over the next 10 years.

Wellstone also hopes to prevent Bush's proposal to eliminate a minimum corporate tax. Elimination of the corporate tax would return about $13 billion dollars to corporations.

Some political experts say Wellstone's tax proposal comes at a dangerous time for him because he is in the midst of a fierce re-election battle with former St. Paul, Minn., Mayor Norm Coleman.

"He is pro-taxes; Minnesota is in a recession, as is the nation, and by taxing people it inhibits their spending and economic development," said Jake Grayssel, a researcher with the Minnesota Republican Party.

But Wellstone's tax proposal is characteristic of his stance on many fiscal issues, said UNC-Chapel Hill political science Professor Virginia Gray.

"This is an expected stance; both the liberals and conservatives know who he is and what he stands for," said Gray, who taught at the University of Minnesota for more than 27 years.

A poll recently conducted by the The Star Tribune of Minneapolis-St. Paul shows Wellstone neck and neck with Coleman, a Republican who once was a member of the Democratic Party.

"Incumbent senators don't expect to be in a dead heat at this point in the race," Gray said.

But in spite of the close race, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities political science Professor William Flanigan said Wellstone's tax proposal will not affect his reputation or his re-election bid.

"Things like this don't make much of a difference in his image; he isn't going to win any Republican votes," Flanigan said. "He is well-known and well-recognized as being pretty liberal."

Some pundits said Wellstone's proposal has initiated a heated partisan debate on an important congressional issue but disagree about the likelihood that it will pass.

Gray said the Democratic majority in the Senate might act in favor of Wellstone's proposal. "It all depends on the parliamentary skill of (Senate Majority Leader Tom) Daschle and Wellstone," she said. "They can certainly block Bush's intentions, but getting theirs passed is another question."

Gray said Wellstone often has been labeled a cantankerous fighter. "His strengths are in motivating others to action and his speaking ability," she said.

But Flanigan said the Senate Republicans might have a chance at stopping Wellstone's proposal, even if opinions fall along party lines.

"A filibuster would stop it, but with a continuing deficit things may change," he said, adding that Wellstone's liberalism could hamper the proposal's passage. "Those who stand to the extremes, both liberals and conservatives, have trouble promoting proposals that get through our legislative bodies."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.