Tech Dethrones Tar Heels in Championships Upset

The UNC women's track team took second place and the men finished fifth at the ACC Championships on Saturday.

Then the chant began, "Whose house?"

But the familiar reply of "Heels' house!" didn't answer.

Instead, a thundering "GT's house!" followed.

And minutes later the official results sounded over the loud speaker.

"For the first time in 10 years, we have a new ACC championship team," the voice said.

Georgia Tech's women upset the Tar Heels 122-113 at this weekend's ACC Indoor Track and Field Championships, held at UNC's Eddie Smith Fieldhouse.

UNC's men placed fifth with 77 points, trailing first-place Clemson by 55 points.

But the down-to-the-wire ending of the women's competition didn't come without controversy or disappointment for the Tar Heels.

Leading by five points heading into the 1,600-meter relay, Georgia Tech false started, which means immediate disqualification in collegiate track and field.

"We had to hope to win and that other teams came in between us and Georgia Tech," said UNC coach Dennis Craddock.

"At the beginning there was a false start by Georgia Tech and I thought, 'How much luckier can we get?'"

But North Carolina's luck never panned out. Meet officials said a door near the starting area had slammed shut, causing the runner's confusion and the false start.

The officials allowed the Yellow Jackets to compete. Georgia Tech took first in the relay and claimed the championship.

"I was very upset," Craddock said of the officials' decision. "Those are the rules. If everybody else has to abide by the rules, so does the relay."

Despite the turmoil, UNC did have its share of outstanding performances. North Carolina placed first in four events, all of them distance or middle distance events.

The Tar Heels also placed third and fourth in the mile and third in the 800-meter run.

"Gosh, what a great effort by middle distance and distance," Craddock said. "Event after event they just did a super job.

"We have to hope that other people step up to that level, too."

Sophomore Shalane Flanagan, who captured her second straight ACC championship in the mile, also won the 3,000, pulling UNC within 5 points of the Yellow Jackets.

With roughly 400 meters left, Flanagan began her kick, passing N.C. State's Kristin Price just meter's before the finish line.

Flanagan's time of 9:19 qualified her for nationals.

"If we were ahead by a lot I wouldn't run, and if we were down by a lot I would," said Flanagan, who also ran for UNC's first-place distance medley relay team.

"And if it was close, like it was, I'd run too."

But by the middle of Saturday, it was never close for the men. Despite a strong showing in the jumps and throws, Clemson's dominance in the sprints and hurdles was too much for the Tar Heels to overcome.

North Carolina's Adam Shunk and Blair Woodward grabbed first in the high jump and long jump, respectively, while Brent Callaway placed second in the pole vault.

Senior Sal Gigante, who placed fourth in the shot put, also won the weight throw, despite fouling on his last toss.

His throw of 67 feet, 2 and 1/4 inches set a new ACC record.

But, like the rest of UNC's weekend, disappointment filled Gigante's competition.

"It feels good to set the record, but it was a sour victory because a foul was called on my last throw," Gigante said.

"I am going to nationals, but if I would have gotten that mark that they called a foul on, I'd definitely be going."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.