TPAC Votes on Revenue Options To Ease Shortfall

TPAC is divided between the three different ways to compensate for the Department of Public Safety's $2 million budget shortfall.

After some debate among committee members, many members said they did not feel that it was their duty to present Chancellor James Moeser with a complete budget but instead to provide him with guidelines by which to draft a budget.

"I believe the details are important, but I don't think it's this committee's job to come up with those," said Ted Zoller, a TPAC representative from the Kenan-Flagler Business School.

Members voted on amounts for each of three revenue options: increased day parking permit prices, an increased department transit tax or a minimum funding contribution from UNC.

Because the committee members did not come to a clear consensus on what amount was best for each revenue option, the members decided to send Moeser the breakdown of their votes on several options. Moeser will consider the committee's recommendations and present a finished budget to the UNC Board of Trustees on March 28.

According to most TPAC members, the most important element of the recommendations was the increase in parking permit prices. Members voted on different amounts for an increase in all daytime parking permit prices. Four members voted for a maximum increase of 5 percent, nine members voted for 10 percent, and 10 members voted for 20 percent.

Members also voted on different amounts for an increase in the department transit tax. Four members voted not to increase the tax at all. Two members voted for a maximum increase of 50 percent, 14 members voted for 100 percent, and two members voted for 150 percent.

Committee members also said they felt it was important that the University contribute to the budget every year or allocate a lump sum that DPS can distribute at its own discretion.

"The University has to participate," said Willie Scroggs, a senior associate athletic director for operations and facilities, and TPAC member. "Even if that gets shot down, I don't want to sign my name to a proposal without it."

Two members voted for a $250,000 annual contribution. Nine members voted for a $500,000 annual contribution. Three members voted for a $750,000 annual contribution and nine members voted that the University should contribute however much money is needed to balance the budget.

Members also voted 15-1 to increase the rent for parking permits paid by construction companies doing work on campus and to charge from the time the spot is unable to be sold to someone else until it is permanently purchased or returned to the University. Members also reviewed last week's night parking permit proposal, which calls for a $5 student fee for night parking per semester. All students who do not have a daytime permit and have paid student fees could request a night parking permit, allowing them to park in designated lots at night. The fee is expected to raise $265,000 a year.

Faculty and staff who do not have a daytime parking pass can purchase a nighttime permit for $138. All daytime parking permits would be valid at night.

Members also requested Wednesday that UNC make a one time, $265,000 contribution because the deadline to file new student fees for next year has passed.