UNC Stadium Might Boast Video Screen

UNC officials hope to install a video screen apparatus at Kenan Stadium before the 2002 football season opens.

"I believe it is imperative we add a video board in Kenan Stadium," Baddour wrote in a statement posted Wednesday on GoHeels.com.

Steve Kirschner, director of sports information, said Thursday that the Department of Athletics is looking into several models of a scoreboard that includes a large video screen.

Kirschner said the athletic department must first secure funds before a board can be purchased. He said officials are looking at several options. The video screens start at $500,000 and can cost more than $1 million, Kirschner said.

Carolina Athletic Association President-elect Kris Willett included the installation of a JumboTron at Kenan Stadium in her platform. Willett said she is thrilled that her goal is coming to fruition, saying research done before her campaign proved it was a possibility.

But Kirschner said Baddour has been considering a screen for more than a year.

CAA President Reid Chaney said he met with athletic department officials last spring to discuss increasing fan involvement, including the installation of a video screen. But he said Baddour's decision to pursue the matter was his own.

Kirschner said factors under consideration include where the screen would be located and the possibility of purchasing two screens. Officials hope to complete the project before UNC opens its 2002 football season Aug. 31.

Plans to install a screen at Kenan Stadium follow the installation of one last fall at Boshamer Stadium, the home of UNC's baseball team.

Willett said the screen will make football games more fun. "It will definitely add to the Tar Heel fan experience."