A 'Stolen' Election? Zimbabwe's, America's Electoral Problems

Just last Wednesday after the results of the election were confirmed, President Bush stated at a press conference "that flaws in Zimbabwe's election will prevent the United States from recognizing the government's claim that incumbent Robert Mugabe was the winner." Standing behind him was Secretary of State Colin Powell voicing that the elections were marked by "numerous and profound irregularities" and that "Mr. Mugabe may claim victory but not democratic legitimacy."

With a little over a year and four months since the controversial election of President Bush in which the Voting Act of 1965 "expired" with various accounts of ballots being thrown out and people being prevented from voting, these men seem to forget that the United States' presidential election of 2000 was considered by many people in this country and worldwide as "flawed." The majority of the voters during that election, in this so-called democratic country, did not determine the president of the United States of America, and this is exactly what countries such as the United States, Canada and Britain are complaining took place in Zimbabwe.

If a flawed election did take place, such countries should accept it and move on as they did with Bush and his theft of presidency. Canada did not put sanctions on the United States and state that Bush and his officials were not welcomed into the country as they have Zimbabwe. Of course, no country would put such demands on the United States as it is in the circle of power. However, when President Mugabe stated that Zimbabwe does not want the help of European nations, those powers became worried that other African countries would follow the leader who truly wants to become independent. If others leaders follow Mugabe's actions such as taking back land from the white settlers, African countries would eventually exterminate dependency on American and European powers, forcing them to trade and work among themselves. Such actions would bring reality to Kwame Nkrumah's vision of a unified Africa, which is something I do not think major powers want to see. Nevertheless, I ask, is it fair for an illegitimate president to question the election of (a supposed) another.

Zawadi Barskile

Junior

African Studies

The length rule was waived.