Blue Talk To Address Campaign

The state representative from Wake County will try to garner support for his race for a U.S. Senate seat.

The Young Democrats, who are hosting the event, also will hold an information session for students interested in applying for internships with Blue's campaign at 7:30 p.m. in the same room.

Blue has served in the N.C. General Assembly as a representative from Wake County for almost 22 years and is a former N.C. House Speaker.

Blue is widely considered to be one of the leading candidates for the Democratic nomination along with former Clinton White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles and N.C. Secretary of State Elaine Marshall.

The Democratic primary is slated for May 7, but court challenges to the constitutionality of North Carolina's new legislative districts might push back the event.

Because the race could determine which party gains control of the Senate, some political pundits expect the race to be one of the most intense in the nation.

Cecil Cahoon, Blue's press secretary, said he thinks Blue will use his speech to build student support for his campaign.

"I expect he will probably talk about his position on health care, education, the economy and jobs," Cahoon said.

He said Blue also will stress the importance of student involvement in the campaign.

Cahoon said Blue has grassroots support organizations all over the state and will probably use his speech to organize student supporters.

Susan Navarro, co-president of the Young Democrats, said she expects Blue to address a proposed tobacco buyout plan, higher education and the Senate race.

Navarro said the Young Democrats are hoping to bring in all of the Democrat candidates for the Senate by sometime in April.

Cynthia Brown, a former Durham City Council member who is also a Democratic candidate, already spoke to the Young Democrats on Feb. 18.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.