Campus Construction Damaging University's Intellectual Climate

The construction on campus is truly an example of poor planning and lack of foresight. To enhance the "intellectual climate" on campus, UNC is renovating Hanes Hall.

While on the one hand, future students will benefit from better classrooms, current students are trying to understand why renovations are going on while classes are still being held in the building.

Every Tuesday and Thursday, I try to increase my knowledge over the dim roar of drills, hammers and the voices of construction crews. Perhaps those who really are concerned about the education of Carolina students should have thought about what it's like to try to listen to a lecture when there are various noisy distractions! I recently took a senior survey that asked me about my experience at UNC-CH (oh, I forgot, UNC-Chapel Hill).

When asked if I feel that I have learned a lot at Carolina, I thought about the difficulty I had taking notes because of noisy construction that I will never benefit from. I don't think anyone can learn in that type of environment. I hope the University wises up soon before the entire "intellectual climate" is destroyed by a bulldozer.

Erica S. Lee

Senior

Public Policy