Chapel Hill Residents Have Opportunities To Push 'Smart Growth'

Who can deny that Franklin Street adds character to Chapel Hill? Its cafes, stores and restaurants create the sense of community that every downtown should have.

Our community is on the verge of that opportunity with the town's decision to develop Parking Lot No. 5, on the corner of Franklin and Church streets across from University Square. And it is with this lot's development that residents can push for smart growth initiatives in our own Chapel Hill.

In turn, groups such as the UNC Student Environmental Action Coalition have advocated a dynamic outdoors gathering place on the lot, creating a unique chance for interaction among all community members permanent residents and students, old and young that does not currently exist in the town. Mixing this development with small businesses, art galleries and cafes with outdoor dining will prove an even greater draw to the downtown area.

In the long term, such a plan helps us all. Instead of Weaver Dairy Road drawing Chapel Hill residents and businesses, a vibrant community center will attract more life and commerce -- creating a focal point for the point to reduce sprawl's lengthy drive times and urban decentralization. Such a center would also bridge the visual gap dividing East and West Franklin streets, in turn achieving aesthetic unity.

Such a forward-looking vision won't be achieved solely through business and community leaders' efforts. Every one of us from the University can help support such ideas -- and we all have a chance to influence the town's decisions this upcoming Saturday. Any Chapel Hill resident can register free of charge to attend Town Hall's Downtown Development Design Workshop on Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. by e-mailing Than Austin at taustin@townofchapelhill.org.

Attendees will participate in breakout sessions where they can flesh out ideas on Parking Lot No. 5's development -- ranging from ideas on the extent of business development, long-term parking issues and the aesthetics of the architecture and open space. This event creates an excellent opportunity for civic involvement and discussion of ideas with lasting value.

On May 13, the Town Council will make its proposal for the lot's development. In the meantime, as long as Chapel Hill residents and groups such as SEAC can promote and discuss their ideas on the issue, they stand on the forefront of bringing about something "smart" for the future of Chapel Hill.

Collin Lee

Junior

Environmental Studies and Art History