Columnist Ideas on Birth Control Are Misleading; Statistics Prove Different

While I applaud Travis Raines' conscientious pursuit of birth control and appreciate his candid account of vasectomy over Spring Break, I question his investigation into effective methods of contraception in last Wednesday's opinion column dated March 20, 2002.

In his column, Travis implies that birth control pills and condoms are only "fairly effective," which led him and his fiancee to seek sterilization.

This wording undervalues the effectiveness of condoms (86-98 percent) and birth control pills (95-99 percent) according to http://www.Plannedparenthood.org.

What is missing in this article is that Travis' need for "anytime ... anyplace, with no worries" can be achieved through other less permanent and painful means, many of which may be more practical for other college students.

His choice of vasectomy happened to be the best one for him and his fiancee given their values and needs (no children ever); it is different for everyone. Above all, it is commendable that Travis and his fiancee came to a decision together about contraception and that Travis took a proactive role in that choice.

While we are on the subject, I noticed that contraception is no longer available on the shelves at the Harris Teeter in Carrboro.

In order to request condoms or pregnancy tests you must go to the customer service desk and specifically ask for them (read: in front of the whole world also checking out at the cash registers). When I asked the store manager why this was necessary, he replied that 80 percent of the contraceptive stock was being shoplifted from the Carrboro store and it was a corporate decision.

Surely, this speaks to the dire need and demand for condoms and contraceptives in this area.

HIV and unwanted pregnancy is a reality in North Carolina. I find this decision unacceptable and challenge Harris Teeter to come up with alternative solutions to assuring access to these basic health resources to the community that they serve.

Rani Shankar
Graduate Student
School of Public Health