Commission Plans to Promote Business

Margaret Skinner, chairwoman of the commission's board of directors, spoke on behalf of the Downtown Commission at the meeting.

Skinner said she applauded the Town Council for its support of the Downtown Commission in 2001, thanking them for supplying $45,000 of its total $56,000 budget.

"We are looking to develop and encourage the vitality and growth of the downtown business district of Chapel Hill as an economic, cultural, recreational, entertainment and historic center," Skinner said, echoing the commission's mission statement.

She announced that the commission will be divided into four committees in 2002 to promote the downtown business scene. Those committees are Services to Businesses, Membership and Networking, Community Service and Events and Promotions.

In addition to the committees, booths will be set up at the Streets at Southpoint mall to encourage shoppers to visit Chapel Hill.

The commission plans to combat the town's parking problem by educating customers on available parking.

"We will improve signage to make it easier for visitors to know where to park," Skinner said. "We will also continue to promote the free bus system."

Board of directors member Dana McMahan, also at the meeting, said diversification of the stores on Franklin Street will help bring different populations to Chapel Hill.

"There are three distinct groups in our community: students, visitors and residents," McMahan said. "We want to meet the needs of all them."

The commission will try to increase information sharing between the business owners in downtown Chapel Hill. A solution already in place involves weekly Wednesday business lunches for the shop owners, where ideas are exchanged.

Another topic Skinner touched on was the beautification of downtown Chapel Hill. The commission will attempt to maintain all the beautification services from the previous year but doubted the longevity of its Adopt-a-Planter program. This program, which encourages businesses to maintain sidewalk planter boxes outside their stores, could end due to the lack of a consistent watering service from the town, as was the case in the past.

To address visitors' safety concerns, the commission told the council that it wants to improve lighting within the shopping districts so shoppers are not deterred from the streets.

An improved welcome center for Chapel Hill also was addressed. This year, the commission will encourage shop owners to have town brochures on their countertops for customers to take.

Also, Skinner suggested designating town ambassadors who would be stationed on the streets of downtown Chapel Hill to assist visitors. These ambassadors could be drawn from retired members of the community or high school students looking for service opportunities.

Skinner said many business owners have been noticing a change in the demographics of the town, seeing younger families entering the community. This year, the commission will try to make events more family friendly to address the change in population.

At the budget session, Skinner said she hopes the commissions' goals will effectively draw in visitors.

"We hope to bring an increase of visitors to beautiful downtown Chapel Hill."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.